... Just Leave People Alone
This morning, Howie (Down With Tyranny) blogs about the "green on blue" deaths of two US soldiers earlier this week in Wardak Province, Afghanistan. Sadly, this event has passed with hardly any notice in the broader stream of traditional media blasted at the American people. Howie places this event in a better context, noting the great likelihood that disrespect of and failure to understand your allies (and enemies) culture are the root cause for these deaths.
Howie also highlights comments made by Rep. Alan Grayson several months ago. As with understanding national financial scandal, anti-citizen politics, and blatant unconstitutional governance taken up by Congress, Grayson has been a stalwart proponent of bringing our forces back home and simplifying our foreign policy.
I think that the aid program is a fig leaf trying to make Congress and the American people feel better about the war and about killing. I think that diplomacy in the areas of fig leaf to try to make the American people think that there is some constructive alternative to the war when the war itself is destructive and not constructive.
I think that the basic premise that we can alter Afghan society is greatly flawed. Afghanistan is simply the part of Asia that was never occupied by the Russians or the English in the Great Game. It’s not a country; it’s not even a place. It’s just an empty place on the map. It’s terra incognita. People who live there are a welter of different tribes, different language groups, different religious beliefs.
All over the country you find different people who have nothing to do with each other except for the fact that we call them Afghans, who don’t even call themselves Afghans. They’re Tajiks, or they’re Pashtuns, or they’re Hazzaras or someone else. The things that hold them together are simply the things that we try to create artificially.
The idea that we could transform that society or any other society through aid, I think, is entirely questionable. I’ve never seen it happen; probably never will happen. If you go to the Stan countries north of Afghanistan, and I’ve been to all of them, what you find is that the way that the Russians altered that society was by crushing it. Stalin killed half a million Muslims in Kazakhstan, in Turkmenistan, in Kyrgyzstan, in Uzbekistan.
He simply sliced off the head of that society in order to remake it in the image that he wanted. And I think that we would have to do no less if we wanted to remake Afghanistan in our image. We’d have to destroy it in order to save it, and I don’t think the American people are ever going to do that to anybody. So I think that the underlying premise is simply wrong.
I’ve been to 175 countries all around the world, including Afghanistan and every country in that region, and what I’ve seen everywhere I went is that there are some commonalities. Everywhere you go, people want to fall in love. Everywhere you go, people love children. Everywhere, they love children. Everywhere you go, there’s a taboo against violence. Every single place you go. And everywhere you go, people want to be left alone. And that’s the best foreign policy of all. Just to leave people alone. (Alan Grayson, 10/9/2009)
Think about that for a moment. Just Leave People Alone. A thoroughly American sentiment, one that can be traced all the way back to the wisdom of Washington:
My policy has been, and will continue to be, while I have the honor to remain in the administration of the government, to be upon friendly terms with, but independent of, all the nations of the earth. To share in the broils of none. To fulfil our own engagements. To supply the wants, and be carriers for them all: Being thoroughly convinced that it is our policy and interest to do so.
6 comments:
Now, if only people would leave us alone.
I really wish we could pull up the drawbridge and tell the world to go to hell, but that ain't happenin' in this day and age.
As somebody whose been there, I do share your wish for a saner foreign policy
SF,
Who are these people who won't "leave us alone"?
Are they Afghans? If so, how will they "bother us" if we simply left? With their air force?
How about those criminals like Bin Laden? Are his ICBMs going to fly from some hidden mountaintop like Dr. No's?
Possibly you refer to Iran or North Korea? Last time I checked, neither were any real threat to our country. Its true that with their ballistic missiles they can threaten our military forces deployed abroad. But, perhaps if we did bring the bulk of those forces back home, then Iran/North Korea's putative military threat recedes.
Or maybe you are thinking those folks who won't leave us alone are all those Palestinians. They'd have to first escape the cage Israel has locked them in to.
Now, if you want to talk about some nations who COULD bother us, say Russia or China -- both have the capability to destroy our country. Of course, we also retain the same capability to destroy them. It's been a pretty stable relationship, no? Of course, both of these nations have adopted an "indirect" approach to clipping our power rather than any direct competition. That sounds quite sane to me!
I think it is time to draw up the bridges and pull back towards our home. What reasons can be given for not doing so? Are not our dollar bills still the king currency? Can we not buy what we need? Do we not have serious problems at home that need our time and resources -- rather than solving other nation's problems? Why should we be China's enforcer in central asia? Let them do it.
A saner foreign policy would at least consider these issues. But, in our foreign policy discussion, they are completely absent. Why?
SP
China via constant internet probing, Saudis and other radicals wanting to fly here and kill us, N Korea and Iran brandishing nukes.
A corollary issue is threats to our allies. Europe may openly bitch about us, but they rely heavily on our security umbrella. Asians see our presence as a necessary evil that keeps them from each others' throats.
I am not shilling for the military industrial complex, just stating realities.
I agree with you that MAD is actually a viable strategy. It worked throughout the cold war.
If other countries would man up and simply crush any country that threatened another, much of our troubles would go away.
China's internet probing is not a critical threat to our existence. China's ICBMs are.
We've been pretty good at keeping any crazy Saudis from attacking us since 11 Sept 2001. That threat is way overblown. And as I said before, terrorists are criminals - not soldiers of a state.
Iran does not have a nuclear weapon and its ballistic missiles can range no further than southern europe. A threat to our deployed forces but not existential. North Korea has a couple small bombs - they are more of a threat to their neighbors than us since they don't have a viable missile delivery system. Too bad for China, Japan, Russia and ROK. But as you say, they can "man up" and protect themselves.
In other words, if we "left others alone" and pulled home much of our massive overseas military footprint, we'd have far fewer enemies determined to attack our home country and probably far stronger friends/allies who properly resource their own defenses.
We cannot continue to be and empire while telling ourselves we are not an empire. At least not without ruining ourselves and straying from our fundamental principles.
SP
I agree with you that we cannot afford to be the world's policeman, or empire as you call it, but I think you understate the dangers the free world faces.
Human nature and history say people will not just leave each other alone.
Will we step in or will we watch Japan burn? Will we help out when critical shipping to Europe is cut off? It's an interconnected world. A catastrophe half a world away can impact our national security.
For better or worse, people rely on us. As I said before, I do think we need to draw back and force others to man up.
You may be right on interconnectedness... but it is all a matter of degree... some of our current national security troubles tie directly back to the fact the WE cannot seem to accept what is but instead try to make what we want it to be.
That, to me, is much of what Leaving Other people Alone means.
In seeking monsters to destroy, I'm afraid we've become the monster.
SP
Post a Comment